I’m not really a fan of Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side? Barf.) but I’m now definitely a fan of her sister. Gesine Bullock-Prado is a marathoner and baker who’s Long-Run Cake was recently featured in Runner’s World. Even though it’s not my usual sweet – I’m on team pie, obviously – I gave it a try this weekend. I really like how it turned out, though it’s not very sweet at all. It’s kind of like a homemade Cliff Bar. Next time I think I’ll add dates to sweeten it up a bit without adding sugar.
The steps are pretty simple too:
- Blend the apple sauce and black beans in a food processor. (Note: I do not have a food processor so I had to use a weird combination of a milk-shake mixer that I have and my hands.)
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt
- With an electric mixer, (or milkshake mixer if you’re me) whip together the bananas and agave. Then, mix in the coffee.
- Add in beans and apple sauce. Then add in the flour/cocoa mix and beat them together until it’s all smooth.
- Pour into bread pan and bake until cake springs back when poked. (In my oven this took 35 minutes, the recipe from the magazine said 25.)
The cake definitely lives up to its name. I ate it for breakfast this morning to get ready for my Sunday long run and it gave me enough energy to both run and do five epic loads of laundry. Not bad.